Citizen Alert System

sign up scroll down icon

Planning & Zoning

JULY MEETINGS NOTES: Planning Commission will meet on July 12 at 6:00 PM in the upstairs Courtroom D of the courthouse. Commissioner Taylor's hearing has been rescheduled and will be July 21 at 10:00 AM in the Commissioner's hearing room (courthouse main floor). Address is 135 W. Cherokee Ave, Cartersville. 

ZONING ORDINANCE READOPTION: Bartow County staff proposes a readoption of the zoning ordinance, appendix A of the Bartow County Code of Ordinances. Public hearings will be held on July 12 at 6:00 PM (PC) in the courthouse basement hearing room and July 21 at 10:00 AM (Commissioner's hearing) in the courthouse main floor hearing room. A draft copy of the ordinance for readoption may be found here.

A temporary moratorium was issued on March 10, 2021 for new R-2, R-3, and R-7 multifamily zoning applications. The purpose is for proposed text amendment changes. The moratorium will expire in July. New R-2, R-3, and R-7 rezoning applications may be submitted during the August 9-13 filing period for the September 13 PC and September 15 Commissioner hearings. 

What can be used as a single-family residence on a vacant lot?
Only a site/stick built residence unless zoned for a manufactured home (MH) - for all proposes minimum 1,200 sqft heated living area with minimum 5:12 roof pitch. Not allowed (prohibited) as a residence: tents, boats, RV campers, storage buildings, shipping containers, tiny homes. After main house/MH is on property, guest house is an option but can only be a site/stick built residence - discuss with staff. Bartow County Code Appendix A (zoning) sections 5.3, 6.5-6.7, 10.1-10.3

Bartow County Zoning Ordinance (Appendix A of the county code) is found by clicking HERE.

Zoning of a property is found in the qPublic map view - click HERE.     
*** CLASS is Not zoning - that is the tax assessor's office info for appraisal/assessment.

Click Upcoming Public Hearing for Planning Commission mtg info.

Click Zoning Documents for application forms. 

Rezoning or conditional use for subdivision; multi-family devt; planned devt; and/or commercial or industrial devt:

1) Discuss water/sewer issues with provider. Obtain concept site plan prepared by surveyor or engineer. 
2) Email concept plan to and and request a Thursday AM meeting with staff to discuss project. Confirm with Mr. Osborne the type of zoning case you will need (rezoning or rezoning with land use change) and download from Zoning Documents page.
3) Obtain water/sewer availability/capacity letter from provider. 
4) Review State DRI threshold info. Review Etowah Valley Overlay District and Allatoona Overlay District info. Complete related items if applicable. 
5) Email Richard Osborne the application, concept site plan, water/sewer letter, example architectural renderings, and letter of explanation to confirm minimum requirements. 
6) Staff will follow up with you to confirm legal requirements are met.
7) At least one project representative must attend the Planning Commission and Commissioner's hearings. 

Basic Rezoning: (example: A-1 to R-1 for proposed lot split)
1) Download a rezoning application from the Zoning Documents page. 
2) Email Richard Osborne to confirm requirements. 
3) At least one project representative must attend the Planning Commission and Commissioner's hearings. 

Variance application:
1) Download a variance application from the Zoning Documents page.
2) Email Richard Osborne to confirm requirements.
3) At least one project representative must attend the Board of Zoning Appeals hearing.  

Fences: make sure they are on private property, not in an easement, not in conflict with utilities or road site visibility. No county permit needed, no max height, OK for chain-link, wood, vinyl, metal. 

Signs: new wall, freestanding/ground signs for commercial and industrial uses require permitting. Email Richard Osborne to confirm requirements.  

Special events: if you want to have a significant size (100 persons or more) special event on residential/agricultural land that doesn't have zoning and business license approval as an event venue:
Obtain a no-cost county Special Event Permit for public safety purposes - email Richard Osborne a filled-out application from the Zoning Documents page. 

Short-term rentals (AirBnB, VRBO, etc.) require county short-term rental licenses
Permit application may be found under Zoning Documents

2021 PLANNING COMMISSION CALENDAR (rezonings, conditional use)


Accessory Building Fact Sheet

Allatoona Overlay District Summary

Allatoona Overlay District Map

Development of Regional Impact (DRI) Fact Sheet

Etowah Valley Historic District Summary

Etowah Valley Historic District Map

Manufactured Home (mobile home) Fact Sheet

Subdividing Land Fact Sheet

Zoning Districts Fact Sheet


The goals of the Planning and Zoning Division are:
1) Ensure orderly county growth in conformance with the comprehensive plan, planning principals and policies.
2) Implement the comprehensive plan and administer and enforce zoning in a professional and effective manner. 

Areas of responsibility:

  • Interact with citizens, businesses, developers to assist with the understanding and implementing of the zoning ordinance. 
  • Review applications, site plans, etc. for code compliance. 
  • Coordinate review of rezonings, conditional use permits, variances, and administrative variances with departments and other agencies.
  • Inspect the applicable sites to ensure complete review of applications.
  • Prepare reports, packages, presentations for the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Bartow County Commissioner, etc.
  • Communicate the process and review with interested parties.
  • Acknowledge decision of Boards and ensure records reflect accordingly.
  • Maintain and update the comprehensive plan and participate in the development of plan implementation strategies. 


Please have the following info when contacting our office:

  • Tax Assessor's Parcel Identification Number (click HERE to visit Tax Assessor's on-line maps) plus address
  • Parcels beginning with a number "0" are unincorporated county (except some Euharlee and Taylorsville city parcels start with a number - description Euharlee or Taylorsville tax district); parcels beginning with "A"  - Adairsville city; "C" - Cartersville city; "E" - Emerson city; "W" - White city.