Citizen Alert System

sign up scroll down icon

Background and History of the CBMPO

MPO Background and History

On February 11th, 2013, Governor Deal officially designated the Bartow County Community Development to serve as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Cartersville Bartow Urbanized Area. The CBMPO is the newest such organization in the State and joins the ranks of 15 others already established under federal guidelines in Georgia.

Federal law requires the establishment of a formal transportation planning and coordinating body when the urban population of an area (defined as areas where residents are living at a density of 1,000 persons per square mile) becomes 50,000 or larger. The map below shows the area within Bartow that meets this definition as of the 2010 Census.

Cartersville smoothed UZA boundary

The CBMPO is established under federal regulation to ensure that funding on transportation projects within Bartow County occurs through a comprehensive, cooperative and continuing process that engages the public and interested local, state and federal agencies. Transportation projects within Bartow County receiving federal funding must be approved by the MPO before these funds can be obligated and the project commence. The primary functions of the CBMPO are as follows:

1. Establish a forum for transportation discussions
2. Evaluate transportation alternatives
3. Develop a Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP)
4. Develop a Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
5. Involve the public-Public Participation Plan
6. Develop Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP)

To complete its work, the Cartersville Bartow MPO has formally established two committees: the CBMPO Policy Committee and the Technical Coordinating Committee (TCC). The Policy Committee meets quarterly during the year and the TCC meets monthly.  These committees were established by a Memorandum of Agreement signed by the local governments operating within Bartow County and dated December 5, 2012. These committees are served by a staff Transportation Planner that is assigned to the Community Development Division of Bartow County government.

The Cartersville Bartow MPO is eligible for Federal “PL” funds for state Fiscal Year 2014 (beginning July 1, 2013).  The PL funds, which are provided through Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and administered by Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT), will be used for MPO set-up, operation, and transportation planning activities.  PL funds will reimburse the MPO for 80% of its eligible expenses; the MPO will fund the remaining 20% of the total eligible expenses. The MPO is also eligible for funding through the Federal Transit Administration to plan for, develop, and operate transit services within the urbanized area of the community. These funds are provided at 80% with a 10% match from the local government and 10% coming from the State of Georgia.